Thursday, May 01, 2008

Voices #1 - discussions with a spider


Today was a holiday - other than the images of young maidens dancing around a May pole, most people in the world as International Worker's Day. When I first arrived in Laos, it was a big ceremonial holiday - parades and speeches - but now it's a time for people to rest and go shopping.

Since I'm still hobbling around on my bad foot, I decided to do mental and physical rest. I read the novel, The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri, for most of the day. Every so often I'd hear this little voice under the bed.

"Don't you want to get up?"

"No, I'm busy." I know that there's nothing under the bed except for this gigantic spider.

"I'll get up on the bed."

"Don't you dare. We have an agreement." That means, he (or she) has soul claim to the mosquitoes in the house and their territory. To further clarify - ceilings, walls, under the bed and the bathroom. Everywhere except for my bed.

"Well, it's for your own good."

"My good is to remain supine. And remember, I have a weapon." I held out the hard cover book.

End of conversation.

No comments: