Friday, May 02, 2008

Friday's Skywatch


I went to do some shopping in the late afternoon. The weather looked fine, so I left my windows open and the wash on the line. The clouds to the east looked fine

After stopping in a few shops, I looked up towards the west and saw these clouds coming in. Since I didn't hear any thunder, I thought I'd could continue into the main market and get some household stuff.

This market is known as the "Chinese Market" since Chinese businessmen provided most of the funds to build this 'dry' market, which sells clothing, jewelry and household merchandise. The old market was in downtown Phonsavanh, and was really a mess. It was a collection of wood and tin stalls built on the ground. During the rainy season, the vendors would rig up plastic tarps and tubing to divert water from falling on the goods, but it would be difficult to stand up under this makeshift plumbing plus the system did nothing to divert the mud. The current market is much cleaner but it doesn't have the personality of the old one.



After shopping I looked towards the west again. The clouds were coming closer.


I headed home as quickly as possible, managing to secure everything before the rain poured down.

This is my contribution to Skywatch Friday which is hosted over at Wiggers World

10 comments:

Jane O' said...

It looks like you made it home just in time. Thank you for the description of the market. I like learning about new and different things.
Also, thank you for the comment on my post :)

Dottie said...

Wow...those are some amazing shots. Glad you made it home before the storm.

Daryl said...

Wonderful shots .. oh so threatening skies .. you live in a beautiful and very photogenic country! :-Daryl

Katarina said...

Fascinating how the clouds change so quickly - very dramatic shots!
/Katarina

zetor said...

Some really intersting shots. Thankyou for your comment on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Wow great sky shots. Especially the first one. Wow!

GMG said...

Hi Changphen! Nice pictures this week. These clouds are incredible! The greens are amazing and the sign weird... ;))
Thanks for your comment on Blogtrotter, where I’m exploring a new country now. Surprise! ;)
Hope you have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

the first picture you share is just so beautiful! Thanks for dropping by my skywatch friday.

lv2scpbk said...

This looks like a nice place and a good sky watch.

Cherie said...

Striking skies! I'll be it rained hard and smelled fantastic! Great shots.